Friday, March 28, 2014

Two Dollars a Day

Lately I’ve been worried about what I am going to eat.

I know what you’re thinking.  You’re saying to yourself, “But Kevin, isn’t that in direct violation to Jesus’ command in Matthew 6:25, specifically the part wherein he says, as translated by the New International Version, ‘do not worry about your life, what you will eat?’” 1   

To which I respond, “Yes, you are absolutely correct.” 2

Jenny and I had been talking about poverty a couple weeks ago, and she mentioned that some of the poorest people in the world survive on two dollars worth of food per person per day.  I believe it was my suggestion that we should try that for a workweek, so I have nobody to blame but myself.  Jenny readily agreed to the idea.  Anneka, our older daughter, thought it was brilliant, but it should also be pointed out that she is away at college, so during those five days she can eat as many made-to-order sandwiches that she can fit on a cafeteria tray.  Meredith, our younger daughter who lives at home, had no say in the matter.

I’m hoping that this little exercise will help us understand the plight of the poor and that we will be able to empathize a bit more with them.  Too often, we hear about the stereotype of the lazy person on welfare, watching daytime television and stuffing their faces with bonbons.  Although the food stamp program in our country provides people with $4 a day, I doubt it’s enough to afford bonbons. 

Two dollars a day.  Sixty-seven cents a meal.   What can we eat for that?  Think about what you spend on food and drink.  A latte at Starbucks would wipe out two day’s worth of your budget.  A Monster Energy Drink would need to get you through almost a day-and-a-half.  The McDonald’s “Value Menu” would get you two items.  Can you imagine making a cheeseburger and fries get you through a twenty-four hour period?

No, of course fast-food restaurants and expensive energy drinks are out of the question, as would be much of the little treats many of us enjoy.  A half-cup of ice cream would be about twenty-five cents, but who can stop at half a cup?  Even a can of Coke, purchased on sale, would be out of my price range, especially when you consider it has less nutritional value than a Snicker’s Bar.  I’m especially concerned that my morning cup of coffee might be out of reach.  A glass of wine with dinner?  Don’t make me laugh.

For that matter, things we consider staples, like meat, and fresh fruits and vegetables might be too expensive for our new week-long budget.  I imagine we will be eating a lot of rice, potatoes and beans.3 Eggs, if purchased on sale, might be on the menu, but at nearly $4 a gallon, we’ll have to seriously consider whether we can afford milk.

To make the challenge more realistic, we are not allowing ourselves to use things that are already in our pantry.  For example, I was looking up a recipe for baked beans that called for, among other things, a half-cup of ketchup.  To have this as a meal, we would need to determine how much that ketchup would cost us, even though we already have a bottle in our fridge.  I’ve figured it out to be about thirty-two cents for that half-cup.  That’s quite a chunk of change when you’re trying to make a two-dollar meal for three people.

So, I’m worried about what I’m going to eat, but not in the way Jesus was thinking about.  I worry about whether or not the food will be delicious.  See, I know that once the workweek is over I can go back to a more relaxed budget. 

Unlike most of the world’s poor, I’m not concerned about whether I will have enough food to keep me healthy, or just alive.

I imagine it will be an interesting week.  I’ll let you know how it goes.




ENDNOTES 
1 Right?
2 But don’t be such a smartypants about your biblical knowledge.
3 I apologize in advance to those who will be forced to spend time with me in close quarters.







5 comments:

  1. We've done it. Unintentionally. I mean, we did use things we already have in the pantry, though.

    I don't calculate per meal, just per week. I do a menu and I know the prices at the store pretty well by heart. Baby is also on WIC so that helps out a lot.

    So we buy rice and sugar every 3 weeks. Cheese and bread every week. If things are on sale than yeah! We can get orange juice or grapes or some other treat!

    It can be done. I guess living in America there is always hope of a better tomorrow. Actually, its the trusting Jesus part that gets us through. It's hard to eat healthy sometimes amd I hate telling my 8 yr old he can't have a snack (he doesn't know there isn't one) but we make it work. I know we have more than a lot of people and we feel blessed.

    I hope you are surprised at how it goes. In a good way. May God bless your endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful challenge Weinerts! We've done the rice and beans thing a few times (the longest was 5 days)--all we could eat was rice and beans and use whatever condiments and spices we had on hand. Really puts things in perspective (and stinks up the house a little….).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Peter had a few things to say about the resulting fragrances (and probably contributed more than his fair share).

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several ways that one can make two dollars per person per day go pretty far. That may sound crazy, but that's due to the way that we think about and do food here in America.

    Here, in the "civilized" world, we are used to the easy life; a life of extravagance and wasteful luxury. We do things here that some places of the world would consider insane.

    Consider explaining to a villager in Africa that we construct elaborate irrigation systems complete with electronic timing controls to provide water daily to a crop that we cannot eat. Yes, I'm talking about that lovely lawn that many Americans have surrounding their homes.

    I once had a neighbor that would wash his truck once a week. Sometimes twice.

    There are places in this world that people don't have clean drinking water. How would they react, seeing all that clean, pure water being used to wash the dust from a vehicle and left to run down a sewer drain?

    Back to food:

    Take those same people and now walk them through one of our well-lit, climate controlled supermarket. Walk them down the freezer aisle and show them the insane variety of heat-and-eat, pre-prepared and packaged meals. Stop to take a look at the price of one of those meals.

    Let's not even stand in line together at McDonals or KFC.

    If we were to go back to basics, if we were to raise much if out own food, that two dollars a day could go pretty far. If we were to take that same two dollars per day and multiply that over a year for a family of four, we'd suddenly have close to $3,000. Instead of Big Macs and Coke, apply that money towards seed, a few chickens, three or four rabbits, and a couple of goats. We are now able to create a sustainable homestead that will provide more than enough food for a family with plenty to give away or barter with for items that we aren't able to produce ourselves.

    Is that easy? No, of course not, but that was the way of life for centuries, up to and including our grandparents.

    We've gotten too caught up in the ideals of an "easy life" and are just now realizing the actual costs of living that lifestyle. I find that more true the further you head into the city. Having moved away from city life and out into the country, I'm finding that two bucks a day and a little sweat investment can put quite a nice meal on the table.

    ReplyDelete